Our first thoughts when we purchased the property in 2008, were to restore the winery and update it, find a winemaker, and make wine. Surrounded as we are by the foremost vigneron of the village - Domaine Rousseau, Claude Dugat and Denis Mortet, it seemed like the natural thing to do.
Both buildings had been allowed to deteriorate into a state of complete disrepair. However they occupy a site surrounded by vineyards that have been producing grapes since the early part of the first millenium. In the course of the renovation work, in one of the outbuildings, we found a 'Turkish Toilet', in which is a plaque of indeterminate age, but which possibly relates to this very early period.
The renovation work started in January 2010. In the attic, Jolanta found some photos of a lady called Jane. Who she was remained a mystery for some time, however in the Summer of 2014 we received an unexpected visit from Thierry Faiveley, the former owner. He explained that Jane was his grandmother a Regnier, and who married into the Faiveley family. The coat of arms over the cheminee in Room 1 was the Regnier family crest.
Wine was made on the property by the Regniers and then the Faiveleys, until about 1950. At that time, Thierry decided to open a restaurant in the cellars. The restaurant was called Les Millésimes (The Vintages), and under the direction of the subsequent owners the Sangoy, became famous throughout France. The wine press which had operated from 1863 was dismantled to make room for the reception, but leaving the vintage charts on the walls, depicting the quality and date of commencement of each harvest from 1863 to 1963.
As part of a complete renovation carried out over four years by Jolanta, we restored and re-instated the pressoir, which now only wants for a few grapes to make some wine. We will not be operating the press, but the properties occupied by Les Deux Chevres do now once again have their own wine. Mark Fincham of Domaine Moray Tawse has dedicated part of his 2012 village vintage to Les Deux Chevres, which we are proud to sell with a Purple Mustard label designed for us by caligraphic artist Els Baekelandt.
Plaque in an outbuilding
Crest of the Regnier family
Jane in 1888
Jane in 1911
Les Millésimes in the 1950's